Saturday, April 6, 2013

Casting the Book Is SO Much Fun!

Dream Cast for The Blacksmith's Daughter

Recently, my publisher Musa Publishing posted a challenge to authors in the Euterpe line to put together a dream cast for their books. I was so excited about it because I actually had a picture of Melanie Lynskey on hand when I was writing The Blacksmith’s Daughter! In fact the challenge was so fun, I decided to post it again here for you guys complete with photos of the cast. 

I have been a fan of Melanie Lynskey for years and thought she would be perfect as the heroine Enith Roweson because to me she comes across as very girl-next-door, but with a beauty that takes you by surprise and a strength you didn’t expect to see. She would need colored contacts though and at 5’7” is a little tall! One of my favorite details about Enith is that she's just barely five feet tall, but can still kick butt. 

For our hero Acwellen Lex’Magen, I have to admit having a serious thing for Chris Hemsworth. Thor is so hot! But I fell for Chris when he played George Kirk in the new Star Trek reboot. He was gorgeous, of course, but he firmly convinced me of his deep commitment to his job and his family, even to the point of death. That is very Acwellen.

Acwellen’s best friend Nerian Elidor should absolutely be played by a young Robert Downey, Jr. Back in about 1992, apart from his drug issues, Robert had the right mix of good looks and irony to play Nerian. I bet he could have kicked butt with a sword too. Since this is dream-casting, I can absolutely pull him out of 1992 and put him into rehab for the role. 

Juliana and Selwyn should go to a young Katherine Heigl and Zac Efron. Katherine is just beautiful, but handles comedy so well and Juliana certainly has some moments when she should not be taken seriously. Zac basically turned out to be much better looking than I ever thought he would and could pull off Selwyn, our youthful but serious young love interest for Juliana. 

Finally, I absolutely loved Tom Hiddleston as Loki in Thor/The Avengers and seriously considered him for Nerian. However, he does such a fabulously compelling bad guy that I decided to jump on that instead (so to speak). However, there are interesting things afoot for our villain Melanth Rouvin and Tom could absolutely bring his magic to that.

Well, now I am super stoked! When does filming start? 

4 comments:

  1. Casting is hard for my books!

    I've tried. X-(

    Maybe I'll have a crack at it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is both helpful and a hindrance. Zac Efron is still not just right as Selwyn I haven't found him yet I don't think, but he's close. Meanwhile, Holley, I would so cast Meaghan Rath from SyFy's Being Human as Shane in Her Resident Jester. Meaghan is hilarious and a fantastic dramatic actress as well. I would so buy her as Shane.

      Delete
    2. I had to Google her!

      I'm familiar with the UK version, but haven't seen any of the US incarnation.

      She does kinda have that Shane look! I might have to peg her to my Evernote board for that world.

      Delete
  2. I think you should just take the entire Avengers cast and fit them in some how. Samuel L. Jackson has to be in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete